Traveling to: Crete (Part I)

December 07, 2016


If you’re following me on Instagram, you’ll know that I’ve posted a lot of pictures of Crete recently. So I thought it’s time for my long overdue travel report. Crete is the only Greek island I’ve traveled to so far and I instantly fell in love with it. It’s absolutely beautiful! For this reason, I decided to share some of my favourite places with you.
Since I’ve visited Crete twice within the last two years, I had to divide my travel report into two parts. For starters, I’ll show you some of the most stunning places on the Western part of the island.
Balos Beach Lagoon
Balos Beach Lagoon. This beautiful lagoon is located on the upper West coast of Crete. It’s definitely a must see if you’re visiting this area of the island. You may take a cruise from Kissamos (42 km west of Chania), but I’d advice to go there by car. The road is horrible and you need to climb down the rocks. However, this way you can come and go as you like and you are free to arrive early in the morning or late in the afternoon so that there’s won’t be too many people. If you want to avoid mass tourism, cruises from Kissamos usually arrive from 11 am onwards and the last cruise for Kissamos leaves around 5 pm.


Elafonisi Beach


Elafonisi Nature Reserve
Elafonisi Nature Reserve. So far, Elafonisi is my favourite place on the island. It possesses one of the most beautiful beaches I’ve ever seen. As you may guess from the pictures, the water is crystal clear, the sand is soft and the beach is surrounded by dunes. If there was only one destination on Crete you could visit, I’d definitely say it has to be Elafonisi. There are boarding houses a couple of metres from the beach and next time I go there, I’ll definitely stay in one of those for more than two days!

Frangokastello
Frangokastello. Frangokastello is a nice place on the southern coast of Crete. We traveled there from Rethymno which takes a bit over an hour by car. You’ll find a small settlement and a fortress built in the 14th century. You can visit the fortress at a charge of 1,50 €. Also, there is a beach filled with milk-white sand beyond the fortress that’s certainly worth a visit.

Kournas Lake


Kournas Lake. If you have a day to spare and you’re staying in the area around Rethymno, I highly recommend to explore the Cretan mountains. The landscape is beautiful and you’ll come across some really lovely mountain villages. While traveling through the mountains you should stop at Kournas Lake which is Crete’s only freshwater lake. Once you’re there, you may enjoy the nature or go for a ride on one of the paddleboats you can rent there.

Rethymno

Rethymno - narrow alleys and lovely shops 💖
Rethymno. Being located on the northern coast between Chania and Iraklio, Rethymno is certainly one of the most beautiful cities I’ve visited so far. Its old town is full of beautiful alleys and narrow streets. Here, you witness the best of Cretan culture. I’m sure you’ll be enchanted by Rethymno’s lovely people, little shops and its impressive fortezza that sits on top a hill near its steady harbour.


Iraklio
Iraklio. Finally, I need to mention Crete’s capital. Although it’s not as lovely as Rethymno, Iraklio has a beauty in itself. You’ll be fine to visit for a day. Strolling through Iraklio's Old Town you’ll come by the Morosini fountain and the town hall. On your way down to the harbour you should visit the Church of Saint Titus and don’t miss the fortress at the harbour where you can learn a lot about Cretan history. Kazantzakis’ tomb is probably the most famous sight in Iraklio. It’s located on top the city walls and if you go there, you’ll have a lovely view of the city centre.

So much for the first part of my travel report. Have you been to Crete yet? If so, I’d love to hear what your favourite places are. Please feel free to comment down below 😊

Love, Sarah

You Might Also Like

1 Kommentare

  1. Ohhh those photos are gorgeous! I can't wait to go back to greece again one day, it's just beautiful <3 glad you such an amazing time!

    Love,

    Anne // www.aportraitofyouth.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Search This Blog